It is a sad fact that as a fighting art is passed from teacher to student there is always a bit that is lost in the process; the result of this is a distorted representation of the original art. Sifu Sam Chan has seen this happen and he has taken great steps to preserve the traditional teachings of Wing Chun as he was taught them by Grandmasters Ip Chun and Ip Ching, the sons of the late Great Grandmaster Ip Man. In this video Sifu Chan has done an exceptional job in presenting the traditional teaching methods of Wing Chun in a plain and simple format.
Typically the Wooden Dummy form is taught at an intermediate level of training in Wing Chun, once the student has learned the basic movements of the first two empty hand forms. At this level the student should have a solid understanding of the main theories of Wing Chun and how they are applied in personal combat. Teaching the Wooden Dummy form not only requires mastery of this level but also mastery of how to teach the form as well. There are subtle little movements and theories that the instructor must make clear to the student as he teaches. Sifu Chan provides a seven-step teaching plan and goes over every movement in detail, one by one, taking out any need for guesswork. As a last note I must say that the fighting application segments, which look like they were filmed in an alley somewhere, are really cool and fun to watch.
- DVD Length: 40 Minutes
- Display: NTSC
- Region: 0
- Type: DVD
- Language: English (No Subtitles)
- Video Quality: High (Professional Production)
- Audio Quality: High (Professional Production)
Sifu Chan provides a seven section teaching plan to guide instructors at the Wooden Dummy level.
- Wooden Dummy Form (Section by Section)
The Mook Yan Jong Faat (Wooden Dummy Form) as taught by Sifu Chan and the International Wing Chun Martial Arts Association (IWCMAA) is divided into seven sections to aid the student in learning.
- Section One (Full View and Close Up View)
- Section Two (Full View and Close Up View)
- Section Three (Full View and Close Up View)
- Section Four (Full View and Close Up View)
- Section Five (Full View and Close Up View)
- Section Six (Full View and Close Up View)
- Section Seven (Full View and Close Up View)
- Applications (Section by Section; Multiple Angles both Studio and Outdoor Footage)
Sifu Chan goes over the finer points as demonstrates the fighting techniques, theories, and concepts of the Wooden Dummy form. Also included in this section are partner drills, heavy bag, and focus mitt training to supplement Wooden Dummy training.
- Section One (Applications and Drills)
- Section Two (Applications and Drills)
- Section Three (Applications and Drills)
- Section Four (Applications and Drills)
- Section Five (Applications and Drills)
- Section Six (Applications and Drills)
- Section Seven (Applications and Drills)
- Complete Wood Dummy Form
- Da Hung Jong (Practicing the Wooden Dummy Form Without the Dummy)