VTM Wing Chun Series #7 Shaolin Wooden Dummy (Part One, Sections 1-4) By Sifu Benny Meng
There is something about training on the Shaolin Wooden Dummy that gives one the sense of fulfillment. Perhaps it is knowing that for over three centuries the wooden dummy has been used as a tool to perfect the movements of one of the world’s most effective systems of personal combat. Or maybe it is based solely on the fact that training on this special apparatus combines all the fighting concepts of Wing Chun’s three empty hand forms into one. Furthermore, continuous practice will develop the proper footwork, positioning, and energy release so crucial to the Wing Chun System. Whatever the reason, having a respected master of Wing Chun guide you through the form movement by movement is a must.
Shaolin Wooden Dummy Volume One focuses on the first four sections of the dummy form. I think Sifu Meng made the right decision when he broke the dummy form into two videos. It would be very difficult to give a detailed lesson on this subject in one DVD. Sifu Meng always delivers when it comes to fully explaining each concept down to the finest detail. He covers everything in this video from proper positioning to the importance of using foreword energy when training on the dummy. I found the applications to be very practical; they really made sense as far as their relationship to the movements as they are performed on the dummy. One of the great things about watching Sifu Meng demonstrating is how effortless and efficient he is. He doesn’t need to use a lot of energy or move in a dynamic fashion to be effective. This is very inspiring since it shows the mastery of the purest form of Wing Chun, which is in combat efficiency. In one DVD of the series, Sifu Meng points out that the philosophy of Wing Chun stresses efficiency, which goes beyond the fighting art and should also be practiced in our daily lives, in everything we do. I have a great respect for Sifu Meng; he is a great teacher and I whole heartedly recommend his videos to all martial artists at all levels.
- DVD Length: 43 Minutes
- Display: NTSC
- Region: 0
- Type: DVD-R
- Language: English (No Subtitles)
- Video Quality: High (Professional Production)
- Audio Quality: High (Professional Production)
- Sifu Meng gives a brief description of the Muk Yan Jong (Wooden Dummy) including history, parts of the dummy (Gates, Arms, and Leg), and the purpose of dummy training.
- Complete Wooden Dummy Form Demonstration by Sifu Benny Meng
- Wooden Dummy Form Section by Section
- Sifu Meng goes through the wooden dummy form section by section and gives a detailed explanation of proper positioning and energy as well as combat applications.
- Section One (Techniques, Concepts, and Applications)
- Jong Sau
- Bon San / Tan Sau
- Gan Sau
- Gwan Sau
- Huen Sau
- Section Two (Techniques, Concepts, and Applications)
- Same sequence as section one repeated with the opposite side of the body.
- Double Jut Sau (Jerking Hand)
- Double Pak Sau Slapping Hand)
- Section Three (Techniques, Concepts, and Applications)
- Pak Sau
- Jut Sau
- Low Bon Sau
- Fak / Pak Sau
- Side Kick
- Po Pai Jeung (Horizontal)
- Section Four (Techniques, Concepts, and Applications)
- Huen Sau
- Stopping Kick
- Tan Da
- Redirecting Energy
- Conclusion (The Key Elements of Wooden Dummy Training)
- Proper Positioning
- Proper Energy
- Proper Application